Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Technology and Me


I'm not sure if the words 'technology' and 'me' belong in the same sentence.

When personal computers first came into being I couldn't see myself ever using them. For what purpose would I ever need (let alone want) to use a pc? Later I thought the same of mobile phones. Having said that, I only use a mobile phone sporadically and usually under sufferance. That's not to say I'm not in favour of technological advances. Sure ball-point pens and lined paper are a huge improvement on stone tablets and chisels, cd-r's are a massive advance on cassette tapes (although I do miss vinyl lps - see pic), and life just wouldn't be the same without television. Today I know that I wouldn't be employed without being proficient in the use of a pc. Not only that but I also choose to spend some of my leisure time sitting in front of a computer either surfing the net or organising music playlists. The convenience of being able to communicate with someone on the other side of the world instantaneously, either by email or via a blog on the internet is truly amazing and something I wouldn't have even imagined could happen when I left school all those eons ago (calculators had only just replaced the abacus).

No comments:

Post a Comment