Tuesday, June 16, 2009

And the winner is............


The Web 2.0 Award Shortlist included many already discovered Web 2.0 technologies: Del.icio.us, Vufind, Google Earth, Zoho, Flickr, Google Docs, Bloglines, Technorati, YouTube, Google Maps and Rollyo. It also featured software that I've sworned a blood oath to avoid for all eternity: Facebook and Craigslist. (Obviously said blood oath has prevented me from making an informative, objective judgement of any kind but a blood oath made can't be retracted).


I began this Discovery Exercise with the supposed 'fun stuff': Hair Mixer (mostly disappointed with the results), Doof (the 'Top Members'' photos put me off), Threadless (the designs didn't really appeal), iFoods (the photos made me too hungry to concentrate), Cocktail Builder (not one match for that leftover, 14 year old bottle of unwanted Advocaat) and One Sentence (the stories in the main weren't at all interesting). Nothing really appealed.


Decision time: I eventually selected a serious option for examination: Biblio. Biblio combines my love of books and my materialistic inclinations. Over 50 million used book titles to browse and potentially acquire. Now I know where I can find a hard cover, 1931, 3rd Impression copy of The Gardener's Year by Karel Capek, illustrated by Josef Capek and printed by George Allen & Unwin Ltd. A "good+" copy that is "a touch musty but very clean". Woo Hoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment